Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Seeing things in a new light!

For Christmas this year, one of my gifts from Thomas was having the opportunity to get LASIK! I was really nervous about the whole thing, but I've had contact issues for several years so I knew it would be totally worth it!
I went in for the procedure on February 9th, and I was out and done within 15 minutes! I knew that it was a quick procedure but I had no idea it would be THAT quick. On my pre-op information sheet, it specifically said "allocate at least 2 hours of your time for the procedure". Come to find out, they just tell you that in case the Doctor is running behind. That would of been useful information, right?

I had sent Thomas across the street to the Kia Dealership to have some service done on my car so he was no where NEAR ready to come and get me. So I tried not to panic.. but my numbing drops were starting to wear off and a burning sensation was taking over quickly. My eyes were also watering profusely, but your not allowed to touch your face at all. I put my sunglasses on it hopes that I could avoid scaring other patients. But after a few minutes, I started to realize there was no way I could sit there and wait for him any longer. So I called him back and said he needed to come get me immediately! Five minutes later he showed up with a courtesy vehicle, and after about 10 minutes at the dealership, we were finally on our way home. 

The doctors strict instructions were to have me go home and go back to bed for 4-6 hours. Seeing as I just got up and knew that was going to be physically impossible, they prescribed me a medication to help me sleep. Thank goodness! By the time I woke up, I was feeling much better and almost completely back to normal. Luckily it was just the initial few minutes after surgery that were really tough.

I had a few weeks of dealing with a lot of dryness and having to carry eye drops everywhere I went. But now that has faded and I am completely home free of all eye products! I even donated all of my contacts and eye glasses to a foundation called  MADRE. They will disperse them to other people around the world in need. 

Now I'm definitely seeing things in a new light! And I'm also enjoying the extra 5 minutes before and after sleep time! It doesn't seem like much, but when you've been doing it since middle school, it's a nice and refreshing change :)


No comments:

Post a Comment